I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend. We are well rested and back at work as usual.
Being that we are still a little sad that the long weekend is over we decided to write Sylca’s Bucket List. 5 places we absolutely want to see before we die.
The northern lights in Canada. Photograph: Daniel J Cox/Corbis
1) Northern Lights – a common name for the Aurora Borealis. Watch nature’s theater unfold as you experience this rare and mystical event. Nigel Tisdall says “The northern lights are one of nature’s great displays: a mysterious, multicolored show in which the night sky is suddenly lit up with a wondrous glow that twists and swirls like a heavenly lava lamp.” How amazing would it be to see this! Who wants to join??
The Galapagos Blue footed boobies – Photograph from greektreks.com
2) Galapagos Island – The Galapagos has always been one of our top “must see” destinations for a while. We are really into nature and what better place to discover the best in nature than this beautiful island. Mark Carwardine says “The Galápagos is probably the most famous wildlife-watching destination in the world. And no wonder – it’s almost impossible to exaggerate the sheer spectacle of the place that provided inspiration for Charles Darwin’s ground-breaking theory of natural selection.”
Safari in Namibia – Photograph from yourtripideas.com
3) African – There are many places to go in Africa, but one that has stood out to us is Namibia for its wildlife and landscapes. This is definitely a place we would love to go to get inspiration for future collections. Nigel Richardson: “Of all the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, Namibia is arguably the most comprehensively tourist-friendly. Not only does it have exceptional wildlife – including a quarter of the world’s cheetahs and the last free-ranging population of black rhino – and a well-developed network of parks, reserves and safari lodges, but the landscapes of its coastline and deserts are some of the most photographed and gasped over in the world, meriting a visit in their own right.”
Conrad Rangali Island Maldives Hotel- Photograph from http://luxoticworld.com
4) Maldives – The Maldives wins the wow factor hands down. The Islands offer a picture perfect scenery with its white sands, crystal blue waters and palm trees. We would definitely would go with a spa resort to achieve the best relaxation and feeling of escape. To discover and explore the beautiful clear waters and mesmerizing coral reefs we would choose Snorkeling. The ocean sunset is like magic and give us the perfect setting for a romantic getaway with our significant others.
Plitvice National Park, Croatia – Photograph from http://www.travelmint.com
5) Plitvice National Park – We thought the water off the coast of Croatia was stunning, but then we learned about the Plitvice National park and its spectacular blue lakes and waterfalls. The park is centered around a stunning network of lakes, waterfalls and natural dams. Thanks to the park’s ecosystem, the water is all crystal clear, with visitors able to go inside these ancient waterways.
Hope you enjoyed our travel bucket list for this year! What do you guys think? Are these places you would also like to see or do you already have your own bucket list?
Sylvia & Camila
We are soo happy for fall fashion! it is our favorite season, but it is difficult to figure out what to wear when the weather outside is still so HOT and Humid. Today we finally have a “colder” day and decided to bring out some of our fall fashion items!
Here I put a black flowy top from one of my favorite designers Stella Carakasi. They do this style in a few different colors, but I bought it in black because I think it is a great canvas for our artsy handcrafted necklaces. This top is so easy and comfortable, not to mention versatile. I can wear it over jeans, printed pants, or a skirt, and accent it with a fabulous statement necklace.
I paired this black top with a pair of wide printed pants. These pants are great because they can be worn over many seasons. In spring/summer I will wear these with a lighter fabric top and in fall/winter I will use a sweater or long sleeve shirt. Oh and don’t forget your hands! Always add a handcrafted ring and/or bracelet to make sure your outfit comes together nicely.
We would love to see your outfits that include some Sylca handcrafted jewelry! Tag us on Instagram or email us your pictures.
Sticking to the blue theme, but for a more casual look, wear a pair of jeans with a white tee. Add a handcrafted pendant necklace with some stud earrings and you will be the talk of the town on your next brunch date with the girls.
Happy Tuesday to all our beautiful Sylca Fans and remember be confident wear statement jewelry!
Some of you might have already heard of us talking about Pearl S. Buck, and how happy we are to have our handcrafted statement jewelry in the gift shop. But for those who have not seen any of our other posts we would like to introduce you to Pearl S. Buck. She was a fantastic writer and an outstanding citizen of the world. Her legacy unites nations, societies, communities and individuals with an appreciation for cultural differences. Her foundation provides opportunities to explore and appreciate other cultures and help build better lives for children around the globe. We are truly happy and blessed to be able to sponsor a child in need and work with this phenomenal organization.
We invite you to browse through their website- and hope you fall in love with this organization as much as we did. And who knows maybe you will also find a child to sponsor.
Happy Friday my friends!!! Are you so excited that it is the weekend again??
Now that Fall is here dressing for those early autumn days can be tricky. It is warm during the day, but gets a little chilly at night. Figuring out what to wear can sometimes give me a headache, but today we have figured it out! I wore a little black dress with short black booties (did I tell you how much I looove boot season)!! My absolute favorite 🙂 Once the sun starts setting and the weather gets a little chillier I can add the long cardigan with Aztec print in grey! I love that it is long because it covers my legs too so I don’t get cold at night.
Of course as you all know I can never miss my accessories. For us here at Sylca an outfit is never really completed till we add a nice unique statement necklace, and some other jewelry pieces of course.
Hi friends and fashionistas!
We want your opinion.
Have you always wanted to be a Sylca designer? Well… today might just be your lucky day! We want to hear from all you. What would you like to see in our next handcrafted jewelry collection for spring/summer 2016?
Please let us know what colors/styles or if you have any particulars you would like to see. Send us an email to email@example.com with all your amazing ideas.
We can’t wait to hear from all of you!
Sylvia & Camila
From Carol "I chose to wear this very lightweight and comfortable necklace as the feature signature piece for my entire outfit. The neutrality of the necklace gives it versatility allowing you to dress it up or wear it casually. A statement necklace is often a large or bold piece of jewelry that takes center stage of your outfit."
Head on over to her site http://evolvingyourimage.com - her blog posts are great and will give you awesome ideas on new outfits. Also you can work personally with Carol to help you evolve your personal image.
Meet Ellen! Owner of Victorian Inspirations in Portland Connecticut. She started this new and exciting venture in early 2015 after she semi-retired from being a Chief Financial Officer/Financial Analyst. As Ellen says “Having always wanted to open a small boutique or elegant gift shop, I decided that timing in life is everything and now was the time to reach for the stars to bring my vision to life.” Kudos to Ellen for reaching for her dreams. Here at Sylca we know how difficult it is to start your own business so we give lots of props to anyone who is strong enough to make the jump!! She is our Woman Crush Wednesday (WCW) not only because she is beautiful, but because of her confidence and dedication to make her dream a reality! (we send you a BIG High-Five Ellen)
If you live in Portland CT or happen to be there stop by her store and see all of the fun goodies! The shop is not necessarily related to Victorian gifts or traditions but it refers to the style, elegance and class of a bygone era. With the holidays right around the corner boutique shopping is the way to go as you can find unique and exciting products!
If you can’t make it to her shop – stop by her facebook page and show her some love!
Have you ever thought “I’m too short” or “I’m too old” or “it looks great on her, but I could never pull it off” Well we have a little secret to tell you… You are just the right height, and just the right age ohhhh and let’s definitely not forget that it will look just as AMAZING on you as it does on the person next to you! It is all about trying it out and finding the perfect piece for you. With that being said we have made a little guide on how to find the perfect statement accessory for you.
Tip #1 — The rules were made to be broken.
As Pharrell puts it “Fashion has to reflect who you are, what you feel at the moment and where you’re going. It doesn’t have to be loud, just has to be you” So even though we will give you some guidelines to follow, know that these tips are just suggestions and it really boils down to what makes you feel uniquely YOU. Don’t be afraid to break the rules and make a statement.
Tip #2 — Accessorize according to your outfit
If you have a busy patterned top then keep your neckline simple. This is your chance to wear statement earrings or/and a statement bracelet and skip the necklace. But on the other hand if you have a more simple and plain outfit then make sure to sass it up with your jewelry. Wear a BOLD statement necklace with solid tops to give it that WOW factor. Here at Sylca since we are on the shorter side we tend to skip the earrings or wear studs with a bold necklace, but this doesn’t mean you can’t pair a large necklace with large earrings. Just be conscious that you are not overdoing it when pairing them together.
Tip #3 — Don’t be afraid to wear color
As you all know we LOVE color in our jewelry. It is a great way for us to bring our South American life style into play. Be spontaneous and wear color you will be amazed how a small pop of color can transform your outfit.
Tip #4 — Keep it light
YES we said it! Statement jewelry must be lightweight, but be very careful when buying it. Don’t let something that is suppose to be fun and exciting end up being a pain in the neck (literally) When wearing a statement piece that is heavy you will end up having to take it off in the middle of your event because it is hurting your ear, neck, arm etc. and just like that your outfit went from fab to blah in a split second. So keep it light.
Sylvia & Camila
Happy Friday my Fellow Fashionistas!!!
Today we are so ready for the weekenddddd and we thought what a better day to post a casual outfit inspiration for your regular fall day. This is the perfect outfit to go pumpkin or apple picking or maybe if you feel a little more fierce pumpkin beer tasting… Can you tell we love FALL and all things pumpkin??
Anyways back to our outfit, this one was so simple and easy to put together (bonus points super comfortable) I started with the shoes as they are brand new and I needed an excuse to wear them. I paired these with jeans, a black cami top and this grey cardi — which is my favorite piece of clothing in my closet right now. Of course you can never forget your accessories!! I added some sass to this casual outfit with an over sized bold statement necklace in grey and yellow (ps we LOVE this color combo) oh and did I mention this piece is so light you can barely feel it on (bonus points again it is adjustable so you can wear it long and short.)