Happy Monday Everyone! Hope you all enjoyed your weekend 🙂
Have you ever had this happen to you? – You’re all dressed up on your way out but when you stop to look into the mirror you realize that there is something missing… Perhaps a that statement piece of jewelry. Whether you’re going on a date, dressing to impress, or going out with the girls you can ALWAYS use statement jewelry to transform your wardrobe. Here at Sylca we believe statement jewelry is wearable art, a conversation starter, and a show stopper.
We wanted to tell all our fans about the history of statement jewelry, and why we love it so much.
We already know how innovative the Egyptians were, and their fashion sense was definitely no different. From chunky necklaces to dangle earrings and bold statement rings, these were all part of an Egyptian jewelry box. Romans, followers and competitors of Egyptians were also sporting statement jewelry. The history of statement jewelry continued to evolve through time with the Victorian era and followed by Coco Chanel who brought to light the idea of costume jewelry. Her use of colored glass and crystals instead of gemstones made statement jewelry affordable to the everyday woman (and the savvy fashionista is born)
Today, statement jewelry is even more intricate, and it includes elements from all throughout history. From elaborated designs of the Victorian era to the bright colors of 60s, today’s jewelry has an amazing balance of all.
Today is a bit of a sad day because it is our LAST outfit inspiration of the year that will have a summer outfit. So here it goes, bye bye summer….. Do we really have to part ways already???
On a positive note, we do have Labor day weekend coming up so we need to focus on all the fun we will have while we say goodbye. What are you guys doing this Labor Day weekend? We have family coming into town to visit! Our niece/granddaughter will be here so we couldn’t be happier 🙂 🙂 She is now 6 months old, can you believe it- time really does fly.
Today’s outfit is simple yet so comfortable and stylish. This flowy pink dress is so versatile and easy to wear that it ended up being one of my most popular dresses, and probably the most practical one to style — especially during those HOT summer days. I can dress it up with a fancier statement necklace and some heals or make it casual with flip flops and an easy-going summery necklace.
Hope you guys like today’s outfit!
Sylvia & Camila
I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend. We are well rested and back at work as usual.
Being that we are still a little sad that the long weekend is over we decided to write Sylca’s Bucket List. 5 places we absolutely want to see before we die.
The northern lights in Canada. Photograph: Daniel J Cox/Corbis
1) Northern Lights – a common name for the Aurora Borealis. Watch nature’s theater unfold as you experience this rare and mystical event. Nigel Tisdall says “The northern lights are one of nature’s great displays: a mysterious, multicolored show in which the night sky is suddenly lit up with a wondrous glow that twists and swirls like a heavenly lava lamp.” How amazing would it be to see this! Who wants to join??
The Galapagos Blue footed boobies – Photograph from greektreks.com
2) Galapagos Island – The Galapagos has always been one of our top “must see” destinations for a while. We are really into nature and what better place to discover the best in nature than this beautiful island. Mark Carwardine says “The Galápagos is probably the most famous wildlife-watching destination in the world. And no wonder – it’s almost impossible to exaggerate the sheer spectacle of the place that provided inspiration for Charles Darwin’s ground-breaking theory of natural selection.”
Safari in Namibia – Photograph from yourtripideas.com
3) African – There are many places to go in Africa, but one that has stood out to us is Namibia for its wildlife and landscapes. This is definitely a place we would love to go to get inspiration for future collections. Nigel Richardson: “Of all the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, Namibia is arguably the most comprehensively tourist-friendly. Not only does it have exceptional wildlife – including a quarter of the world’s cheetahs and the last free-ranging population of black rhino – and a well-developed network of parks, reserves and safari lodges, but the landscapes of its coastline and deserts are some of the most photographed and gasped over in the world, meriting a visit in their own right.”
Conrad Rangali Island Maldives Hotel- Photograph from http://luxoticworld.com
4) Maldives – The Maldives wins the wow factor hands down. The Islands offer a picture perfect scenery with its white sands, crystal blue waters and palm trees. We would definitely would go with a spa resort to achieve the best relaxation and feeling of escape. To discover and explore the beautiful clear waters and mesmerizing coral reefs we would choose Snorkeling. The ocean sunset is like magic and give us the perfect setting for a romantic getaway with our significant others.
Plitvice National Park, Croatia – Photograph from http://www.travelmint.com
5) Plitvice National Park – We thought the water off the coast of Croatia was stunning, but then we learned about the Plitvice National park and its spectacular blue lakes and waterfalls. The park is centered around a stunning network of lakes, waterfalls and natural dams. Thanks to the park’s ecosystem, the water is all crystal clear, with visitors able to go inside these ancient waterways.
Hope you enjoyed our travel bucket list for this year! What do you guys think? Are these places you would also like to see or do you already have your own bucket list?
Sylvia & Camila
We are soo happy for fall fashion! it is our favorite season, but it is difficult to figure out what to wear when the weather outside is still so HOT and Humid. Today we finally have a “colder” day and decided to bring out some of our fall fashion items!
Here I put a black flowy top from one of my favorite designers Stella Carakasi. They do this style in a few different colors, but I bought it in black because I think it is a great canvas for our artsy handcrafted necklaces. This top is so easy and comfortable, not to mention versatile. I can wear it over jeans, printed pants, or a skirt, and accent it with a fabulous statement necklace.
I paired this black top with a pair of wide printed pants. These pants are great because they can be worn over many seasons. In spring/summer I will wear these with a lighter fabric top and in fall/winter I will use a sweater or long sleeve shirt. Oh and don’t forget your hands! Always add a handcrafted ring and/or bracelet to make sure your outfit comes together nicely.
We would love to see your outfits that include some Sylca handcrafted jewelry! Tag us on Instagram or email us your pictures.
Sticking to the blue theme, but for a more casual look, wear a pair of jeans with a white tee. Add a handcrafted pendant necklace with some stud earrings and you will be the talk of the town on your next brunch date with the girls.
Happy Tuesday to all our beautiful Sylca Fans and remember be confident wear statement jewelry!
Some of you might have already heard of us talking about Pearl S. Buck, and how happy we are to have our handcrafted statement jewelry in the gift shop. But for those who have not seen any of our other posts we would like to introduce you to Pearl S. Buck. She was a fantastic writer and an outstanding citizen of the world. Her legacy unites nations, societies, communities and individuals with an appreciation for cultural differences. Her foundation provides opportunities to explore and appreciate other cultures and help build better lives for children around the globe. We are truly happy and blessed to be able to sponsor a child in need and work with this phenomenal organization.
We invite you to browse through their website- and hope you fall in love with this organization as much as we did. And who knows maybe you will also find a child to sponsor.
Happy Friday my friends!!! Are you so excited that it is the weekend again??
Now that Fall is here dressing for those early autumn days can be tricky. It is warm during the day, but gets a little chilly at night. Figuring out what to wear can sometimes give me a headache, but today we have figured it out! I wore a little black dress with short black booties (did I tell you how much I looove boot season)!! My absolute favorite 🙂 Once the sun starts setting and the weather gets a little chillier I can add the long cardigan with Aztec print in grey! I love that it is long because it covers my legs too so I don’t get cold at night.
Of course as you all know I can never miss my accessories. For us here at Sylca an outfit is never really completed till we add a nice unique statement necklace, and some other jewelry pieces of course.
Hi friends and fashionistas!
We want your opinion.
Have you always wanted to be a Sylca designer? Well… today might just be your lucky day! We want to hear from all you. What would you like to see in our next handcrafted jewelry collection for spring/summer 2016?
Please let us know what colors/styles or if you have any particulars you would like to see. Send us an email to email@example.com with all your amazing ideas.
We can’t wait to hear from all of you!
Sylvia & Camila
From Carol "I chose to wear this very lightweight and comfortable necklace as the feature signature piece for my entire outfit. The neutrality of the necklace gives it versatility allowing you to dress it up or wear it casually. A statement necklace is often a large or bold piece of jewelry that takes center stage of your outfit."
Head on over to her site http://evolvingyourimage.com - her blog posts are great and will give you awesome ideas on new outfits. Also you can work personally with Carol to help you evolve your personal image.
Meet Ellen! Owner of Victorian Inspirations in Portland Connecticut. She started this new and exciting venture in early 2015 after she semi-retired from being a Chief Financial Officer/Financial Analyst. As Ellen says “Having always wanted to open a small boutique or elegant gift shop, I decided that timing in life is everything and now was the time to reach for the stars to bring my vision to life.” Kudos to Ellen for reaching for her dreams. Here at Sylca we know how difficult it is to start your own business so we give lots of props to anyone who is strong enough to make the jump!! She is our Woman Crush Wednesday (WCW) not only because she is beautiful, but because of her confidence and dedication to make her dream a reality! (we send you a BIG High-Five Ellen)
If you live in Portland CT or happen to be there stop by her store and see all of the fun goodies! The shop is not necessarily related to Victorian gifts or traditions but it refers to the style, elegance and class of a bygone era. With the holidays right around the corner boutique shopping is the way to go as you can find unique and exciting products!
If you can’t make it to her shop – stop by her facebook page and show her some love!